Monday, September 1, 2014

Cath's birthday trip to Atlantic City

Cath wanted to have her 40th birthday at Grotto at Golden Nugget in Atlantic City.  We ate there in February and she really liked it, so I made a reservation at Resorts for Saturday, August 9, since I the only places I can get a comped Fri/Sat night is Resorts or Trump Taj Mahal.

We typically leave Friday night, but I figured we could get an earlier start on Saturday instead of getting there late Friday night, but Cath had to take our daughter to a birthday party, so we didn't get on the road until around 4:00 PM.  With a few stops, we arrived at Resorts around 8:09 PM.  I renewed my Epic status there, which meant that I would get free parking, but I didn't get my renewed card before I left.  So when I gave the parking attendant my old card, she asked if I had the new card and I said I didn't, but I renewed, but she said she couldn't see that.  I inquired about an upgrade since it was her birthday and she offer a smoking jacuzzi room, but Cath didn't want a smoking room.We ended up with an accessible room on the 3rd floor of the Ocean Tower, although we had to wait for it to be ready.  I forgot my money in the car, so I went back up, stopped by the slot club and got my new cards and asked about getting the $5 refunded.  The slot person said the front desk could do it.  When I asked at the front desk, she said they couldn't do it, but the parking valet would give me a pass for free parking, since I was staying there.  I said I was supposed to get free parking anyway, but I could see that the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere.  I'm not a big fan of accessible rooms, but this shower did have a shower curtain and there was a chair in it.  It was also odd that we had two refrigerators and our two chairs didn't match.

The refrigerator for our refrigerator. . .

High quality here. . .
 
Cath had a free dessert offer from Margaritaville, so we went there.  We got there around 8:48 and they said it was a 45 minute to one hour wait!  Wow.  We decided to wait, and while we were waiting, there was a person making balloon things and he made Tessandra a hat with a dog on it.  I had some freeplay and played it on the $1 8/5 BP.  I didn't get anything good, but I did cash out for $125.
 
Turns out, the wait was closer to 20 minutes, but I was still sitting by the blender since Cath had the pager. 
The big blender outside the restaurant. . .
 
We got seated near windows facing the Boardwalk and the "Super Moon" was out, well, the night before the "Super Moon".  We had two monkeys with us this time:



So, at Margaritaville, I got fried chicken, so sue me.  It was good, but I had to ask for more gravy.

 
We went for a walk on the beach, with the mostly full moon out, that's something you can't do in Las Vegas.
 
We found some nice shells on the beach, including the largest clam shell I've ever seen!
 

Bob was coming back from Barnegat going to Stone Harbor and he wanted to see if I was still up and wanted to eat.  We ate a few hours ago, but I told him I could get something.  He arrived but parking at Resorts was $20 if you didn't have your player's card, which he didn't.  So he went to Trump Taj Mahal, paid the $5 there with his player's card and used the receipt to park at Resorts. We got to Breadsticks around12:49 AM, and I think they closed at 1:00 AM.  Bob got the chicken parmesan sandwich and a milkshake and I just got a cup of the seafood corn chowder and a beer.  When we got the bill, I noticed that we were charged $12 for the beer that was advertised at $4.  After speaking with the manager, he made it right.  I had quite a few comp dollars, so I picked up the bill.

We tried taking some pot shots at Ultimate X and Super Times Pay, but we didn't win, seems like a carryover from Vegas.  And the last few times Bob left me, I'd hit a royal, but even that didn't happen tonight.

Sunday, August 10


Resorts has the annoying 11:00 AM check out, but I called down and was able to get a noon check out.  We were trying to figure out what to do for lunch and we decided to get something on the Boardwalk.  Tessandra likes corndogs and I figured there would be a place to get one there.  There wasn't a place on the Steel Pier to get one, but a little ways down we found a place.  They advertise that they have the largest slices of pizza and I think they are right:
 

I got a cheese steak and Cath had to have a funnel cake.

Afterwards, we had some time to kill, since we were going to be staying at Borgata tonight and it was using our friend's comp and they had to come and check-in for us, with dinner planned for 7:00.  We headed to the Steel Pier, since we've never really done that.  I bought the $35 package of tickets and we have a few leftover.  She was scared of a few rides, but she enjoyed most of them.


She got to ride on the upper portion before they closed it later



 
We left the Boardwalk and headed to Borgata, arriving there around 4:37.  Cathy and Jose were already in line, it was pretty long:
 

We got a nice room on a 20-somthing floor with a view of the city.  A strange thing was we set up the chairs for Tessandra to use as a bed and when Cath called down for an extra sheet, they told her they didn't do that, which we found odd.  The was a top sheet on the bed, which I took and used for her, although the one on my bed had holes in it.

I think it's time to replace this.

I also noticed that there was a leak around the toilet, although I did notice that they've remodeled the rooms since last I stayed there.  We put Tessandra down for a quick nap and showered before dinner.
We were running late and didn't get to Golden Nugget until 7:16, but it didn't take long to get from the parking garage to Grotto.  I spoke with the hostess and she said she hadn't cancelled my reservation yet, although the restaurant was hardly crowded.  It took a few minutes for the rest of the guests to arrive.  We ordered family style last time and ordered the same thing we ordered last time, the Grotto salad, spaghetti bolognese, and fettuccine alfredo with grilled chicken, and we got some buttered spaghetti for Tessandra.  Always love the large portions:


They gave Cath a choice of a birthday dessert and she got the strawberry shortcake:
 
 
I had a little over $30 in comps, and after taking that off, the bill was a little over $90.  They didn't add an automatic gratuity, so I tipped 20%.  One thing I found slightly disappointing is that restaurants will typically comp a birthday dessert, but they didn't.
 
We headed back to Borgata and I wanted to get some play in.  I started at the $1 9/6 JoB, and didn't have any luck.  I found some Super Bonus Poker machines, and I did hit a nice straight flush:
 
 
Things didn't get better after that and I dropped down to nickels, of course I hit this:
 
 
I'd lose a bit more and then I hit this:
 
 
I press up to dimes and I get this:
 
 
Finally another win:
 
 
I tried some more Hyper Bonus that we played in Vegas, but this was the best I could do this time:
 
 
That's after losing on quarters.  I always do better the first time, I should stick with that. . .

Monday, August 11


They had the room for Monday night as well, so we didn't have to rush to check out at 11:00 am.  We went down and had a leisurely lunch at the Cafeteria, their food court.  Last time I recall that we were able to get Tessandra a corndog, but this time there were none to be found.
 
I was going to check them out via the video checkout, but the TV wasn't working.  I was going to leave a note to housekeeping (along with the note that the toilet seemed to be leaking), when I saw that the HDMI cable was unplugged from the router.  After plugging it back in, the TV worked (I'll send them my bill).  But because it was so late, we couldn't check out.  As we were leaving, I told housekeeping that we were checking out and I also filled out one of the express checkout cards in the "living room", the lobby area outside of the room elevators (it's really a nice idea).
 
With a few stops, I believe we got home around 9:00 PM, a bit late since we have to go to work the next morning, but it was a nice little getaway.  It was too bad we didn't get to go by Revel (and too bad we never got to stay there before it closed).  I saw Showboat last time I was there and met Otto there, but I doubt we'll get back there before Trump Plaza closes.  I already see promotions for Trump Taj Mahal and Resorts for the Revel players.  We'll see how things shake out the next few months.  With Horseshoe Baltimore opening up, I'm eager to go see how it is.  They sent me some freeplay, so I hope to be able to use it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment