Sunday, January 14, 2018

Day 6 - 2018 Las Vegas Winterfest, AKA Hipfest 2018

Sunday, January 14


Is it possible that our trip is already half over?  Where did all the time go?  Anyway, Kip deemed today, “Day – of – Winning” (ala Wheel-of-Fortune).  I’m not sure how we could top the Day of Recovery, but I’m sure we’ll try.  It was actually a Day – of – Drinking, as we had the Bellini Brunch and the Twin Creeks Happy Hour on the plans.

We got up and talked about the day and the trip and just things in general.  I mention this now, but this was something that we did every day, morning and night. We do like to talk. We’d get up relatively early with plans to do things, but we would sit in the room and talk for a few hours and then we’d be behind our mythical schedule.

So, Kip has this thing for Multi-Strike. It is the Devil’s game, but they do have an 8/5 BP version here, so at least it is “full-pay.” We give it a shot, but unfortunately we don’t hit any quads anywhere and soon bust out. And the crazy thing is that it takes $4 to earn a point on this highly volatile game! In any event, I show her where the multi-denomination 8/5 BP machines are and we have a short session before brunch.  We have a nice chat with the bartenders and get some Bailey’s and coffee (something I couldn’t get at B Bar at Borgata in Atlantic City, because they don’t serve hot drinks at the bar) while we’re playing. It was a horrible session for me, where I hit ZERO quads. Kip was doing well, hitting two regular and one bonus quad for an even session. (I lost $50.) It’s around 12:15, and the brunch ends at 3:00, so we head over.  We were expecting a line, but there wasn’t one and we get in relatively quickly. I use my $25 comp, but the total was around $30-something, so I end up using some points for the difference. I also used this time to clear my $150 Free Play, which I ended up taking $100 back in cash. Not the result I was hoping for, but at least it was something. . .

One of our friendly bartenders with Jacques!

I have had the Bellini Brunch for the past three years and actually stumbled (so to speak) on it by accident. A friend of mine and I were there on a Saturday after being at Red Rock Canyon and were heading to South Point. I knew the buffet was decent after eating there the year before, plus there’s an ACG 2-1 coupon. It was only after we were done eating and saw people with drinks that we began to inquire and discovered the free Bellinis! Last year, I discovered that instead of Sat and Sun, it was just Sun, so I’ve made the adjustment in my plans to come here (unless I find something better).

The buffet isn’t like Bacchanal, but it’s a good, solid buffet. They have plenty of things I enjoy, and, oh, did I mention the Bellinis? They had (based on a photo two years ago) Sunrise (like a tequila sunrise), Peach, Pomegranate, Mimosa, Raspberry, and Mango. I started off with a raspberry and then got a sunrise, and then another sunrise.  Kip tried the Mango, which she didn’t like, but she did like the sunrise, and had another one of those (or two).

Double fisting is the only way to try all of the Bellinis!
Raspberry Bellini and food!
And dessert. . .
And more food!

























After brunch, we had some time to kill before TB would arrive to take us to Ethel M’s so he could pick up some chocolate, and then over to Popcorn Girl’s for popcorn (duh).  We had a short session at the Shady Grove Bar, where Kip hit 50c quad 3s and I hit ZERO. Kip again ended up even while I took another $50 loss.

We headed over to Ethel M’s, which had been on my list of things to do, but hadn’t gotten around to it.  We didn’t watch the chocolate factory much, but went out and enjoyed the cool weather and walked around the cactus garden. It wasn’t dark enough, but we noticed they still had their Christmas lights up.  I guess we should have come back to see it, but we didn’t. We headed over to Popcorn Girl, but we just missed them by about 5 minutes. They were already closed.  Sadness. . .

Superb Penstemon (that's what the sign said)
Hedgehog Cactus
Rabbit Ears cactus
Purple Pancake Cactus
Saguaro Skeleton Cactus sign
Saguaro Skeleton Cactus
We got back to Silverton and had some time to kill before the Twin Creeks Happy Hour started, so we finished up play at Shady Grove Bar. I finally hit a quad, but Kip hit four, including two bonus quads, and finally ACES! She hit them just as the Vikings-Saints game ended, with me yelling, “Noooo!” as I watched the Vikings score and then yelling, “Yessss!” when Kip showed me four beautiful aces! Continuing the theme, I took a $50 loss, while Kip had a $100 win. We headed to Twin Creeks. . .

It was quite crowded when we arrived at 5:30 (the HH started at 5:00), but we squeezed the three of us at a table designed for two. This was where we were going to blow out my $75 comp, and we ordered several dishes:  Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, Calamari, Chophouse Sliders, Goat Cheese & Crab Fondue, and Lobster & Sweet Pea Risotto. We also ordered two of their fancy cocktails. (TB got a beer.) I believe Kip got the Rye Old Fashion and I got The Smokin’ Sazerac. It was good, not great. The food was good though. We got a bit of attitude from our server, when Kip asked if the drinks were good, she said that they were all good, since she created them. Well. . .

The Happy Hour menu
The Smokin' Sazerac
Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Calamari
Chophouse Sliders
Goat Cheese & Crab Fondue
Lobster & Sweet Pea Risotto  *People have told me it looks like it is in a toilet bowl.  Yeah, kinda. . .
Strawberry Blossom
Anyway, we calculated that we still had around $20 or so to get to $75, so Kip and I ordered two more drinks, I got the Strawberry Blossom, which was good, and Kip got the Frambuli. So, when the bill arrived and I went to use my comp, she said that the comp wasn’t good for happy hours (it said so on the comp ticket). Well, we could either save the comp and pay the total in cash, or use the comp on the full price of the bill. Since we were leaving tomorrow, I said it didn’t make sense not to use it, we wouldn’t be able to spend that much on breakfast tomorrow, so we took the $75 off the full price, which left $54.13 for us to pay in cash. We divided that up and left around a $20 tip.

Kip and TB were going to go to Gelatology, but I still had “work” to do.  I asked if they could bring one back for me and after perusing the menu online, I asked for the Froot Loops gelato.  I settled in on some 50c 8/5 BP at the bar and dropped $100 fast, even after drawing an inside straight flush.  I put in another $100 and got a dealt SF and then a regular quad and cashed out up $20 for the session.  Finally, a winning session!

Hard to believe I ended up losing this!
I love the easy decision holds!
Yay, quads!

Kip arrived back with my gelato, which I ate at the bar while playing. It was very good, tasted just like Froot Loops! Even with Kip hitting aces again, and two other quads, I only hit 3s early, and we both had losing sessions. I said enough of that; it’s time for some “fun play.”

Froot Loops gelato.  Tastes like it, and has actual Froot Loops in it!

We started with a Golden Egypt slot. We put in a $20 and after a while, we cashed out at $18. I said we should at least get a bonus, so we put the ticket back in and had to put in another $20 before we got a bonus game.  It was a decent round, and we cashed out a ticket for $48.35. During this time, a man behind us hit a hand pay for around $2,500. He must have been a regular, because they knew him and he asked for it all in a check. He was talking with us about the slots and was rooting for us when we finally hit the bonus round. He was telling us about the jackpots he’d hit and pointed at several machines and telling us about the bonuses and what not. We both wished each other good luck as we moved on.

We saw a slot called “Star Rise,” which looked interesting. There was a huge progressive, but when we started, we noticed that the progressive was less, but then we realized that the progressives were based on the bet size. Well, we were betting the minimum, and if we hit for $500 or so, that would be fine. It was one of those 1024 (or whatever) ways to win, so we didn’t have to line up the symbols, just get them on the reels. We managed to hit a mini for around $7.00 and then we hit a nice line pay with an expanded reel for like $42. We had two of those hits and cashed out at $100.39, up $52.04.

Kip couldn’t help herself as we saw an Invaders from the Planet Moolah machine. I reluctantly put in our voucher and starting spinning. Things weren’t going well, and then we got a nice line pay. We never got a bonus, but when we were up, I cashed us out at $101.34, up 95c!

We gave the 5c Wheel Poker Triple Play a chance, playing the short BP quick quads.  There are some quick quad holds that you do, and we had one where we had 8-8-8-6-4.  I said we would hold the 6, since we could draw the 8 or the 2s to make the quad, whereas the 4 had one fewer out.  The woman next to us overhead us talking and said that we could always hit a natural quad.  Yes, but this is quick quads, so we could draw the 8 or something to make eight, and we had the six.  It was nice when the first card on the bottom line was a 2, giving us the quick quad.  We got a few quads, but not great spins.  We did manage to cash out at $112.70, making our fun play profit $72.74. We then called it a night. . .

Seasons Buffet:  $10 tip, plus $4 drink tips
Twin Creeks:  $54.13, plus $20 tip
51/49 raffle:  $20
Drink tips:  $10

No comments:

Post a Comment