Friday, November 12, 2021

Poker Guys trip to Las Vegas - Day Two

 I woke up around 6:30 AM because my legs were hurting.  This has happened to me a few times on my prior trips in Las Vegas (the last trip in Jul/Aug and also last year Sep/Oct).  I was able to fall asleep for another hour, but I was pretty much up around 8:00 AM.

My roommate, Bob (not to be confused with other Bob's I usually travel to Las Vegas), was already awake.  We were figuring out today's plan, which would first start with breakfast.  We decided on Hash House a Go Go, which is in Plaza.  We got ready and were down around 9 AM.  There was about a 50 minute wait, so I put our name on the list and I would let everyone know when the table was ready.

I went to play dice with John.  I can't remember the last time I played dice, and then I recalled why.  The table was bad, and in no time I lost most of my stake.

I tried my "luck" on a Hexbreaker slot, but that went just as poorly.  I was spared any further losses by the text telling me that our table was ready.

The poker guys assembled at HHaGG before me, and were already seated when I got there.  We had eaten there on our last trip, commenting on the size of the pancake Bob (not the Bob on this trip, or any other Bob's on any other trip) got.  I got the biscuits and gravy last time and decided to keep the tradition.

Biscuits and gravy!

Breakfast was $83.90, which we charged to John's room, since he'd be the biggest player (although I'd hope that our host would consider all of our play in regards to comps).

Since it was  nice day, we decided we'd play some pickleball.  We went back to our rooms to get ready.  When I checked in, I was told that Joe and John were in different towers (even though we booked at the same time through the host).  When told where each was, I asked to be put in the same tower as John, but apparently that was Joe's (North Tower).  As opposed to the Garage Mahal view I had, Joe had a nice view down Fremont Street.  The clerk told him it is a nice view if you don't mind the noise.

A pretty nice view.

The pickleball courts are on the pool deck, which apparently you can no longer access from the North Tower.  John had already booked the courts and rented the equipment (paddles and balls).  None of us had played pickleball before, so after figuring out the basics, we went at it.

There was pickleball!

We all had a pretty good time, and were pretty worn out (good thing I bought that ibuprofin!).

I was hoping to get some play in at Plaza today, since I'm staying here on an up front comp from the host, but we're having dinner at Andiamo at The D, and I'll be using comps there and don't want to stiff them.

I put in about an hour of play at Plaza before heading to The D.  I got up to Vue Bar around 4:00 PM, so I had an hour before our 5:00 PM reservation at Andiamo.  Play wasn't great, I hit two quads (6's for 134 credits, and 3s).  I ended up with a $74 loss when it was time for dinner.

Andiamo is probably my favorite steakhouse downtown (and it's really nice when it's comped).

The guys ready to eat!

I usually don't get a drink with dinner, but everyone was getting wine, so I didn't want to be left out!

A little Pinot Noir!

The always popular lobster bisque! 

NY strip and side of pasta.

I had $150 in monthly comps, which we easily exceeded.  I was expecting to use some of my earned comps and I had plenty to cover the entire meal.

We were going to the Las Vegas Days Rodeo at the Core Arena by Plaza at 7:30, so I had a little bit of time to get the points I wanted at Vue Bar.  Bob stayed with me while John and Joe headed off, so I was educating Bob on video poker play.  I did bump up my play at times to $1 and 50c, and I thought I had 544 points by the time we needed to go, but in reality, I only had 473 points.  Hopefully that won't affect my offers too much. . .

Bob and I headed back to Plaza, where I showed him the "secret" path back to Plaza, avoiding Fremont Street, and we messaged everyone to see where they were.  John was waiting for us, but there was no sign of Joe.

The three of us headed to the arena, where I witnessed my first rodeo.

View from the Core Arena

Why yes, this is my first rodeo!

There was bull riding, steer wrestling, barrel racing, saddle bronc riding, team roping, bareback riding, tie-down roping, and breakaway roping.  Most of it was exciting, a few came up duds, but I guess that happens.

Afterwards, we headed back to Plaza and I had some play to do.  I played up at Omaha Bar, tried some $1 Bonus Poker Deluxe, and was rewarded for my effort. . .

Interestingly, the machine immediately printed out the ticket for $400.

I didn't want to stay up too late, since I knew we were planning on hiking the next day.  I was out until a little after 2:00 AM, that's how I figured out the gaming day ended at 2:00 AM.  I managed 2,390 slot tier and 215 table tier (I like that they break that out on the kiosk) for the day, on another losing day. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment