Tuesday, July 27, 2021

July - August Las Vegas Trip - Day One

Wow, I see it's been almost a year since I've posted.  Welcome to 2021, eh?  I'm a few trip reports behind, as I've been to Las Vegas in Feb/Mar and again in Apr/May.  But I figured I'd write this one now since it's fresh in my mind and go back and try to put together the older trips later.

I won't go into the whole background of the trip planning and just get to report:

Tuesday, July 27

My friend and I got the 12:05 PM flight out of IAD on Southwest with a connection in Denver.  We arrive at Harry Reid International Airport (so not used to saying "McCarran") a little bit before 4 PM local time, but it takes us a while to get to a gate.

After getting our luggage and waiting for a shuttle to the rental car facility, we finally arrived there around 5:00 PM.  We had reserved a pre-paid car at Budget for $328.64 a few months ago, since prices seemed quite high during this time.  The car was ready in the lot for our pick up and after checking it out, we were on our way.

Our first stop was Total Wine to pick up a few things and then we made a stop at the Pinball Hall of Fame at its new location.  It was quite spacious, and we spent about $5 on games, we spent about an hour there.

Pinball Hall of Fame

We made a quick stop at Aria because I wanted to pick up a toy dumpling at Din Tai Fung, but unfortunately they were sold out.  My friend did redeem a myKonami $25 slot play reward there, after a few issues.

Around 9:00 PM, we headed to Ellis Island for dinner.  We were going to eat at the Village Pub & Cafe, but there was about an hour wait.  We went over to the BBQ, and there was no wait.  We both got the half chicken, half ribs, and a rootbeer.  With the 2-1 coupon, the total was around $32.


Afterwards, we headed to the pop-up tiki bar over the Front Yard.  It was an interesting place, with two blackjack tables and a few video poker machines.  The drink list seemed okay, and we both got the Island's Envy, which was pretty good.





We finally ended up at Rio, where I had booked three nights.  I was supposed to get $75 resort credit with my reservation (more on that later).  We arrived too late for Diamond check-in, and the regular line didn't have a special Diamond line, so I used the kiosk to check in.  I believe I originally booked a Masquerade Tower room, but ended up in the Ipanema Tower.  It had been several years since I had stayed at Rio.  It seems they have remodeled the rooms, and it looked nicer, although they apparently removed the coffee maker that used to be in the room.


I decided that I was going to put a little play on my card, so I tried some 7/5 BP QQ TP at 50c.  I hit a dealt quad and was up a few hundred, but hadn't earned many points, so I ended up losing $100, earning 207 points.  I earned a few more points trying the $5 9/6 JoB machine, losing $100 there.  So much for "full-pay". . .


It was probably around 2:00 AM, so I decided to call it a night.  Not a great ending to my first night in Las Vegas. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment