Friday, January 24, 2020

Hipfest III - Day One, well for me. . .

Friday, January, 24:

So, a bit lot of background.  Back in August, Frontier had a promo for "Friends Fly Free", and there was a round trip between IAD and LAS for $187.96 r/t, so split by two, it was $93.98 per person.  My friend Kip was going to come down from New Jersey and go.  I purchased the "Discount Den" the prior year, when I flew back from Las Vegas on Frontier.  I was thinking that if I had made one more flight, the discounts would pay for the membership.  I never made another flight, but this promo was for Discount Den members, so by booking it, it covered my membership cost.

However, on 09/23, I received an email from Frontier staying there was a change to my itinerary.  I noticed that the flights from IAD had changed drastically.  After November 18, there were no returning flights from LAS to IAD, plus the flights out of IAD to LAS were severely limited.  I told Frontier that I wasn't interested in flying out of DCA (horrible connections), and, to my surprise, they totally refunded my money.

I didn't think much about it, until the next day, they emailed Kip and I a $100 voucher to fly, needing to book before 12/24, but able to fly anytime their schedule permitted.  Well, this didn't really help me, there were no great flights between IAD-LAS, plus the flights between DCA-LAS weren't good either.  They did, however, have a decent flight between PHL-LAS, non-stops each way, an evening flight out, and a morning flight back.  Kip booked a three week trip out to Las Vegas starting on January 7 and returning January 29.  I had to figure out how to go and when.  Our original plans were to fly out January 25 and returning January 29/30, so I was looking for that same window.  $104.55 ($67.55 air, and $37 for a carry-on bag).  Later on November 13, I saw a fare for $38.30.  Frontier apparently has a policy where you can change/cancel a flight for $0 change fee.  I had to cancel my first flight, and rebooked the second flight, adding the Works (free checked and carry-on bag), and I choose a stretch seat (2F) for $12, making the total $115.30.  I had to come out of pocket for the $15.30 (and apparently my $4.55 from the previous flight), but that is still a good fare (even on Frontier).  So, my round trip flight totaled $25.45 out of pocket.

So, with all of that background, let's start on the actual trip!

I still had to get from the Washington, DC area to Philadelphia, and park.  I left my office around 12:30 pm, and arrived at Colonial Parking around 2:30 PM.  It was a short 15 minute ride to the airport.  I have TSA Pre-check, so it was a quick trip through security.  I did have a bag check though, since my sandwich bag full of slot cards looked suspicious.

My flight was delayed, so I had lunch at Chickie's & Pete's.  Boarding was fine, I was B13, I took a window seat near the back of the plane.  I had a connection in BNA, and with the delay, I didn't have time to pick up dinner.  I was A57 (and the people who were behind me in PHL were behind me in BNA).  The attendant said there were about 40 empty seats, and I was able to snag seat 8A, with no one in the middle seat!

We landed at McCarran around 9:20 PM local time, quite a bit early than our 9:50 PM scheduled arrival.  I waited for my bag and then headed to the bus stop, I was catching the WAX to go downtown, schedule to arrive at 10:28 PM.  I considered taking an Uber, but it was around $25, the WAX bus is $2.  I arrived downtown and walked to Golden Gate, where I'd be staying for the next four nights.  I got to the hotel around 11:09 PM.

Welcome to Las Vegas!
There was no one at check-in, and I got my usual suite, 35.  My host left though, so I'm not sure if the new host will go out of their way to put my in that room.  I don't have a particular attachment for that room, it's just the first room that I was put in (except for the penthouse suite), and the past three trips, the host put me in there (he said he looked it up when I made my second reservation).  I also haven't stayed in any room at Golden Gate other than suites, so I'm pretty spoiled in that respect.

Suite 35
After I got settled in, a friend of mine was having a little get together at his suite at The D. so I walked down there and got there around 11:56 PM.  But, not before I tried my luck at a $1 Double Top Dollar slot.  I put in a $20, then another, and then another.  I was going to stop after that, but I got a bonus round and ended up cashing out for $50, a $10 loss.

The suite was on the 17th floor, on top of the shorter tower and you need keycard access to get to the suites.  It was a nice suite, two bedrooms, with a half bath, sitting area, dining area, and a wet bar.  I had some champagne and smoked a cigar, it was nice to catch up with an old friend.

Michael and me!
I stayed a bit longer than I expected on my first night, and headed back to my room around 2:40 AM.  I noticed the progressive on the 8/5 BP machine at Golden Gate was around $1,400, so I took a shot at it.  Unfortunately I didn't hit any good hands and lost $90 (not hitting quads would be a theme for me this trip).  Well, a $100 loss for the first night isn't horrible, I just don't want to make it a habit.

In my planning document, I referenced getting something to eat after I got in, but that seemed to slip my mind. . .

Expenses:  $25.49 (flight cost, lunch, and WAX bus)
Tips:  $10 (lunch and baggage handling).
Gambling:  $100 loss


1 comment: